Sichuan Celtuce Salad
- 2 medium to large celtuce
- 1 tbsp salt, more to taste if needed
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp Chinese black vinegar
- 1 tbsp Soy sauce
- 1 tsp Maggi or green mt sauce
- 1 tbsp dried crushed Erjingtiao (or other spicy dried red chili)
- 1 tsp ground sichuan peppercorn
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 scallion (finely chopped)
- 3 tbsp oil (any neutral oil)
- Peel the celtuce, removing all of the tough light green outer skin until there are no more white part streaks of stalk, leaving only the bright green part. Julienne the celtuce and transfer to a large strainer to mix with salt salt. Let it sit and drain for 10 minutes but no more as this will draw out too much water from the celtuce.
- In a mixing bowl, combine soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, black vinegar, maggi sauce.
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan over medium heat until it’s just smoking. Add crushed chili, sichuan peppercorn, garlic and scallion and turn off heat. Once it stops bubbling, pour over the reserved sauce bowl.
- Rinse celtuce and dry thoroughly. Mix well with sauce and serve immediately or chilled.